When the body breaks down, it rightly cries out for our attention. Displaying a tremendous heart of compassion Jesus healed everyone brought before Him. He didn’t just do it once. He did it on every recorded occasion. This shows us our Father’s heart as well: No matter how or why we get sick, God wants us healed! Because Jesus is the same today as He was yesterday, you can count on it that He is just as ready and willing to heal us now as He was then.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalms 103:2-5 ESV
God Wants Us Healed
Our God wants everyone healthy and well in the fullest sense of the word. That is our starting point for seeking physical healing and our desired end. In heaven everyone is enjoying perfect health all of the time and God didn’t break a sweat accomplishing that feat. It is an uncontested fact of our faith that Jesus wants us to pray for the conditions of our Father’s heaven to become a reality upon the earth. This certainly includes health and healing.
Pray then like this: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:9-10 ESV
You would think that it would be easy to pray and see heaven come down to earth, since this is our Lord’s stated desire. Sometimes it happens with just that much simplicity and suddenness. These are the testimonies that we love to hear and all want to experience, especially when it is our turn to be in need of a miracle. Nevertheless, physical healing is evidently much more complicated than that much of the time.
There are real mysteries surrounding the ministry of healing because God’s way of working is a great mystery, because we have a legion of invisible enemies dedicated to thwarting our recovery, and because body, soul and spirit are immensely complicated and interwoven. If you run into snags and delays, try not to become discouraged. Never quit. Never give up. Prayer, patience and perseverance really do move mountains, even when it only seems to be one bucket full at a time.
Since there are so many avenues that can be pursued, we have compiled a check list of things to prayerfully consider. There are times when just one of the things on this list may be all that is needed, but which one? There are other times when a thorough combination is required. Let the Lord lead you. These are set down for your prayers and consideration: We are not doctors or health experts! We are just fellow believers trying to find the best way forward like you.
A “Check List” of Suggestions to Consider
Pray over the items on this list to see which one(s) the Holy Spirit would have you pursue.
1) Build your faith in God. Never rule out a supernatural intervention by God. Keep encouraging your faith in God as a healer by studying the Scriptures for Healing. Grow your faith for physical healing and your understanding about it by reading books written by people that God is using as instruments of His healing. Without ever giving up the hope of an obvious and direct intervention, take confidence in knowing that our God also works in “hidden” ways through every kind of legitimate pathway you we may feel led to pursue.
2) Don’t be passive. Seek to recognize and deal with any doubts, discouragement or signs of unbelief that need to be overcome. Then take active steps to do what you think the Holy Spirit is showing you. For combating doubts see The Power of Believing. For learning guidance see Walking in the Spirit. If you are struggling with fear, practice the antidotes we list in Fear Not!. Many people have gone into remission when the grip of a stress or fear-focus has been broken and deep peace restored.
3) Pray with persistence. God has promised that “all who call on His name shall be saved.” Don't give up: Let your need for God's help teach you the way of prevailing prayer. Ask for restored health, of course, but don’t neglect to pray for wisdom, guidance, confidence, spiritual growth, a surrendered heart, and anything else He may show you. Don’t let the trial be wasted!
4) Get your heart right with God. Since emotional stress (past or present) is a leading cause of illness, seek the Lord for help in dealing with any issues that may be putting stress pressure on your body. This could be an excellent time to take the eCourse for Healing. You may discover and deal successfully with the root of the disease and even if you don’t, you will gain great freedom and peace. You can’t lose!
5) The medical community. Seek healing through doctors. Always pray asking for guidance and for the Lord’s hand to be upon the medical community. Let Him lead you. He never drives a person with fear—that’s the enemy’s tactic to cause to make foolish choices. Jesus leads us with peace. Many double-blind clinical studies have shown that people of faith who have faith communities praying for them, receive better outcomes from illness, time in hospital, or other treatments.
6) Be wary of non-traditional medical approaches. There are countless “alternatives” out there that have more in common with the New Age or occult spiritual power than the Lord’s ways of working.
7) Basic healthy disciplines. Seek healing through natural remedies, such as diet, exercise and herbal supplements. Scripture says that God placed healing power in herbs, but don’t go overboard. A balanced, moderate approach is the Biblical norm to the whole of life.
8) Get in every prayer line you can. Go to every conference or healing crusade you can. I once spent a month doing this deliberately with a badly sprained ankle. I went in to meetings on crutches and came out on crutches, but never quit trying, until that just right moment came along. I was instantly healed! Jesus’ own experience of being stymied by unbelief at Nazareth shows that the faith community has a key role to play. God is cultivating some awesome faith communities that are well worth traveling to find.
9) Get baptized in the Holy Spirit. It is a fact that most of the people powerfully gifted for healing in the Body of Christ have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. Most of the healing taking place in the Third World is being done in communities of faith that are baptized in the Holy Spirit. When the apostles were baptized in the Spirit on the day of Pentecost, signs and wonders began following them. Spirit baptism helps people to pray for healing and to receiving healing.
11) Never give up your hope in God. Never quit seeking. But learn to live with peace in the meantime (see Praying through to Peace). This by no means easy to do, but it is something that we all need to learn. Paul says that he learned how to “abound” even when things weren’t going well and he learned to lean on God’s grace, even under affliction.
More to Explore about Physical Healing
Dis-ease and Disease Our modern medical science has brought forth a landslide of evidence that emotional stress (dis-ease) is the culprit causing most, if not all, of our diseases. We don’t like either one, but we invest more energy and money in trying to drive out disease, than in seeking to live free from stress. Jesus has the answer to both.
It may not be enough just to pursue the right things; some wrongs things may have to be removed. Sometimes healing and/or deliverance may be blocked from going forward by one or more of the 33 (!) blocks to healing mentioned in scripture. We would be wise to pay attention to what our Great Physician is telling us.
Healing and health are separate, though related issues. When our bodies break down, naturally we want our health back, but isn’t there a way to stay in health and avoid physical illnesses in the first place? Indeed there is—and the Bible has a lot to say about it!
Interested in Going Deeper?
Consider taking our free eCourse for Healing, We have designed a complete series for personal transformation, "Matters of the Heart", to help Christians gain emotional freedom and inner healing. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!
Scriptures and Foot Notes
 Whenever multitudes or individuals came to Jesus seeking physical healing, He healed them. Their seeking Him out was evidently important. He didn’t heal every sick person He came near. This is evidenced by the healing at the Pool of Bethesda where He only healed the one He was sent to heal (John 5:1-9) and by His apparent inability to heal many sick people in Nazareth, because “of their unbelief” (Mark 6:6).
 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 ESV
 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers. 3 John 2 AMP
 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Philippians 4:5 KJV
 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13 ESV; Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 ESV