Both Solomon and Jesus declare that the important issues of life flow out from the depths of our hearts. Practically all of us carry stuff from our past which can spill over and influence, even control, the new life that Jesus wants to give us. Emotions that overwhelm us in the present (like fear, anxiety, hurt feelings, anger, depression, etc.) are things God wants to free us from. Go for this glorious liberty!
For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God... Because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. Romans 8:20, 22 NKJV
Who Doesn't Need This?
Emotional healing is desperately needed by so many people that we have an entire website devoted solely to it at healingstreamsusa.org. By way of introduction to this immense field here are some of the basics:
1) The emotional life of a Christian is intended to be a river of peace which enables love, joy, contentment, patience, kindness—all kinds of good things—to "bubble up" to the surface as we go through the day.
2) Negative emotions jam up the works. Things like fear, worry, anger, shame, despair, etc. do not come to us out of our union with Christ. They actually spring to life out of the old nature and issues buried in our hearts.
4) The first stage of dealing with negative emotion strongholds is learning how to defeat them when they show up—this is like mowing down weeds. We call this "basic discipleship."
5) The second stage is learning how to resolve past issues that are the breeding grounds for negative emotional reactions in the present—this is like pulling weeds out by the roots. We call this "emotional healing" or "emotional recovery."
6) The final stage is learning how to ride herd over your emotional state, spending far more time in the river of peace than in the struggle with negative emotions. We call this "emotional health" or "emotional mastery."
7) As a bonus, gaining emotional liberation from past and present issues often leads to freedom from disease, because negative emotional stress is the number one cause of illness in the first place. (See Dis-ease and Disease.)
If you want to learn how to deal with the negative emotions that keep popping up, or if you know that you have some deeply wounded places in your heart that need emotional healing, come visit our site and take our free eCourse for Healing, Matters of the Heart.
More to Explore of Emotional Healing
From Recovery to Mastery When the peace of Christ enters our hearts it feels so good and liberating that we float above all our old feelings. Eventually, we discover that our old host of negative emotions keeps dragging us down! To stay in Christ’s peace we have to first learn how to get recovery over past issues that wounded us; then, we can use these same “tools” to gain mastery over our emotions in the present.
True Life Illustration
Why We Need Emotional Healing: What I learned on a Honduran road...
Interested in Going Deeper?
Consider taking our free eCourse for Healing! We have designed a complete series for personal transformation, "Matters of the Heart", to help Christians gain emotional freedom and inner healing. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!